Michigan Works!


(800) 285-WORKS (9675)

The Michigan Works! Service Centers offers one-stop access to a wide range of career development services, including job training, information about education, internships and apprenticeships.

Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS)


(800) 605-6722

MRS is a part of the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Growth (DLEG). MRS is responsible for the vocational rehabilitation of Michigan citizens who are physically or mentally impaired. They work with eligible individuals to help them determine an appropriate employment goal and to develop an individualized plan to reach their goal. They also arrange, provide or purchase the services necessary to accomplish the plan.

Social Security Administration (SSA)


(800) 772-1213

The SSA is a federal agency that administers two disability benefit programs that may be relevant to students: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Under both programs, people unable to work because of a disability may be eligible for monthly benefit checks. SSA defines disability as the inability to perform substantial work due to a medically determinable impairment that will last for at least 12 months, or is a terminal condition.

Michigan Department of Human Services (MDHS)


(517) 373-3740

The MDHS is a state agency that administers several programs that provide assistance with basic living expenses such as shelter, food, dependent care and medical needs. Income, assets and other factors determine eligibility. Applications for their various programs are available at an individual’s county MDHS office.

Check with your employer. Many employers offer tuition assistance or reimbursement. Check with your employer’s Human Resource Department for more information.

Get More Info